20/20 Leadership is the premier Kansas City youth development program dedicated to preparing students for life after high school. For over 25 years, 20/20 Leadership has pursued programming that contributes to the overall well-being of young people recognizing that an individual’s access to critical assets such as education significantly impacts their physical, mental, and social well-being. Our work is dedicated not only to ensuring that our participants adequately capitalize on their access to a high school education but also position themselves for post-secondary success. We remain committed to the mission of providing high school students unique experiential learning opportunities to expand their education beyond the classroom, developing resilient leaders, and building stronger communities.
20/20 Leadership's greatest accomplishment is its ability to prepare confident, successful students who are equipped for their lives after high school. Over our history, 100% of the students participating in our program have graduated from high school as compared to 72.4% of their peers. Furthermore, 83% of our participants attend post-secondary institutions as compared to 61% of their district peers. In addition, data from our alumni base of over 4000 past participants clearly indicate that the foundation 20/20 Leadership provides continues to assist these individuals in achieving their personal and professional goals.
20/20 Leadership currently provides services to students from 16 different schools in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area including students from both the Kansas City Missouri Public High Schools and the Kansas City Kansas Public High Schools. The Kansas City Kansas Public School District began partnering with 20/20 Leadership in 1993 and the Kansas City Missouri School District joined this partnership in 2003 when 20/20 received it’s 501©(3) certification. Our current partnering school districts include:
• Kansas City Missouri Public Schools
• Kansas City Kansas Public Schools
• Bonner Springs School District
• Hickman Mills School District
• Piper School District
• Turner School District
• University Academy
Based on an experiential learning model, our comprehensive work with students includes:
• Personal Development including resume development and presentation skill opportunities as well as acquisition of skills identified as most attractive to 21stcentury employers.
• Community Engagement including meetings with community leaders and team projects that challenge students to identify needs within their communities and implement strategies to address those needs. These experiences support students in becoming more aware of their communities, more familiar with policies and ignite activism and a growth mind-set.
• College and Career Preparation including college visits, support in identifying funding for post-secondary education, career exploration and support in preparing for scholarships.
• Team Building including experiences that assist students in gaining valuable interpersonal skills, valuing differences and learning to work together.
• Workforce Development including experiences with community partners designed to equip students with the qualities, skills and traits most desirable to employers.