Business ownership is tough. It starts with an idea that becomes an obsession. There are a lot of ups and downs every step of the way, but there is also the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our product or service has helped someone.
Are you looking for an opportunity to share an idea and get feedback? Are you looking to meet other entrepreneurs and business owners? Do you want friendly feedback from business peers? Perhaps you seek to surround yourself with an energized business community.
Whatever your needs, 1 Million Cups is the place to be. In under one hour, you can meet, greet and learn from an assortment of business people gathered to support entrepreneurs. You’ll meet mentors, investors, organizers, entrepreneurs, students, and those that are curious.
December 10, 2014, I was among a few of the curious first-timers. It made such an impression on me that I have only missed one or two since. When I heard about their second anniversary event on February 25, 2015, I cleared my schedule to be in attendance. Paul Heirendt, the organizer, invited several past presenters to the anniversary program and asked them to share how 1MC has made a difference:
- Invaluable feedback & support
- Introduction to new people
- The reach is greater than what could have been done on their own
- Address problems, avoid lawsuits
- Broader networking
- Credibility and increased presence
Paul then asked each presenter one thing they remember from attending or presenting:
- Fun to see where you were and how far you’ve come
- Helping others avoid mistakes—failure & loss
- Learned to narrow your focus
- Be prepared for ideas and suggestions from unexpected resources
- Be prepared to discover what you don’t know
- Everyone is receptive
- Learning how to better present & pitch an idea
And if that wasn’t enough to encourage you to pursue an idea, here is advice past presenters offered:
- Be persistent; stay with your ideals
- Stay focused
- Don’t be afraid
- Know what you know & know what you don’t know—gather info and feedback
- Lots of advice-know what to take & what to leave behind
- Don’t fear the tiny failures; keep moving
- Just do it (make those daring connections)
- It takes longer and costs more than you originally thought
- If someone says you’re crazy, consider it a compliment and keep going
- It must be an obsession
Now’s the time to give your idea life. The world is waiting to hear from you and 1 Million Cups is the place to start.
Happy writing—and growing,
Post provided by Kris Edens, a copywriting and blogging resource for small business. She resides in Festus, Missouri and enjoys networking, writing and the entrepreneurial community.
Kris the Scribbler