by: Kate Hodel
Strap on your shopping shoes, the season is right around the corner. This year, make a conscious choice to spend some of your holiday dollars with local merchants. There are so many good reasons to support local business owners. Here are our top five:
- Your money stays in your community. Locally owned businesses tend to purchase from locally owned businesses.
- Local business owners tend to donate more to local charities.
- Unique businesses create character.
- Environmental impact is reduced.
- Most new jobs are supplied by local businesses.
Two times to start: Plaid Friday, Nov. 28, the local alternative to Black Friday. Wear plaid and visit a community retailer. And Saturday, Nov. 29, is Small Business Saturday ... pretty self explanatory.
Content contributed by Kate Hodel, MOSourceLink. MOSourceLink is a proud affiliate of U.S.SourceLink, America's largest resource network for entrepreneurs.