Have you ever heard of WOM?
Word of Mouth Marketing, or WOM, is a powerful tool and should be used strategically in any startup or small business. Here’s three reasons it works, and how to put it to work for you.
- It puts the relationship back in marketing. Let’s compare with mass media, which can be pictured as a one way street. It’s directed to the person on the other end of the communication channel, but there’s no way back. No relationship, only a hope to connect with some sort of emotion, want, or need to drive the consumer to purchase. WOM is a two-way channel that builds relationships and trust.
- Relationship creates trust. Relationships and trust create a sizeable impact on decisions. There is more likelihood for purchase when a product or service is referred by a trusted source.
- It sucks people in. If everyone is talking about something, it’s only a matter of time before it brings in outliers- even if it’s just awareness. It’s that simple. Check out this video on “first follower” and you’ll see what I mean.
How can YOU generate WOM?
Content contributed by Jessica Flint, SourceLink Tulsa. SourceLink Tulsa is a proud affiliate of U.S.SourceLink, America’s largest resource network for entrepreneurs.
- Create a referral system. This is a win-win. You’re treating your faithful clientele, while generating new business through the WOM, relational, trust method. Find where the value is, though- otherwise those ‘carrot’ cards will just be headed for the bin.
- Allow feedback through online channels. People are looking for you online, and possibly talking about you online. You want to make sure you’re part of the conversation, and preferably- the one generating conversations and fielding client complaints.
- Make personal connections and be strategic. Go to industry events, roundtables, networking functions and trade shows. Make connections with people and be strategic about the conversations you start, and how you intend for it to be captivating enough to be passed on.