We all have a role in keeping the economic engine well-tuned, primed and churning—even state art agencies. Arts, culture and design create jobs, boost their local economies, and help make the long-term transition to an innovation-based economy, according to the report Engines of Growth: Five Roles for Arts, Culture and Design
from the National Governors Association.
The report outlines the five strategic roles arts, culture and design play in economic growth:
- Provide a fast-growth, dynamic industry cluster
- Help mature industries become more competitive
- Provide the critical ingredients for innovative places
- Catalyze community revitalization
- Deliver a better-prepared workforce
In addition, the report explores some of the most promising initiatives already underway that have already made strides to encourage collaboration, build communities and stoke economies.